How do the holidays come up so quickly each year? It always feels like you have all the time in the world to prepare, but the busyness of the season can quickly catch up with you. To help you get ready for the holidays, we’ve put together a list of money-saving (and planet-loving) ideas to ring in the season – Used.ca style!
Prepare your house for hosting guests:
- Used.ca is a great place to find gently used (or sometimes new!) linens so that you have lots of extras for your guests. You can find bedding, towels, and tablecloths on our website. With extras, you won’t have to worry about doing laundry while entertaining guests
- Want to cut down on doing the dishes over the holidays? You can stock up on affordable cutlery and dishes on Used.ca so that you have enough for everyone! (And this is a better option for the environment than using disposable dishes)
- Need help tidying up? You may wish to look for a house cleaning service for before or after your company arrives, and we have many listings in our services category!
Get ready for your entertaining:
- When hosting, you may forget to think about the outside of your home. Consider hiring a Christmas light hanging service (search “Christmas lights hanging service”)
- Having a house full of family can be stressful. Take some of the work out of keeping your guests of all ages occupied and entertained by stocking up on board games, puzzles, video games, and movies
- If you’re looking for a few extra decorative touches, Used.ca has a large selection of holiday decorations! You can find everything from trees to lights and from ornaments to seasonal serving wares!
Traveling for the holidays:
- Setting out on a road trip? Why not start with a sparkling clean car? There are plenty of car detailing services listed ready to get you rolling
- If you can’t take your furry four-legged family members with you, you can also find pet sitters listed in our services
Be a savvy shopper:
- Check out our Handmade Market for locally handcrafted gifts! It’s like an online craft fair!
- Support local small businesses, while also cutting down on clutter, and buy a gift card for a local service. Many local businesses listed offer gift cards, such as photographers, pet groomers, housecleaning, and even massage therapists and esthetician services!
One of the best things we can do for our planet is reusing and repurposing things that have already been made. This time of year we’re inundated with messages to buy new things we don’t need – consider normalizing buying used gifts or giving services that make memories, not garbage.
Another planet-friendly tip is to use materials you already have around your home for wrapping paper or find gently pre-owned items on Used.ca. Check out this blog for details.
Have some more tips on how to get ready for the holidays while showing our planet (and your bank account!) some love? Please share them below.